Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Book Review- Gathering Blue

Gathering BlueFor the Finishing the Series challenge, Library Challenge and the Audiobook challenge I read (listened to) Lois Lowry's novel Gathering Blue, which is the second book in the Giver quartet.
Goodreads Synopsis: Kira, an orphan with a twisted leg, lives in a world where the weak are cast aside. She fears for her future until she is spared by the all-powerful Council of Guardians. Kira is a gifted weaver and is given a task that no other community member can do. While her talent keeps her alive and brings certain privileges, Kira soon realizes she is surrounded by many mysteries and secrets. No one must know of her plans to uncover the truth about her world and see what places exist beyond.
I actually liked this better than The Giver. It's the truth.
The story really appealed to me and while I maybe opening up a can of worms here it really made think of abortion. The excuses that the townspeople made to have Kira executed were exactly like the excuses I've heard for abortion. It was really sad and disturbing.
I loved the character of Kira and the supporting cast... especially Matt... he' so sweet. :) There were many clever twists throughout the book. Most of them I saw right before the reveal.... so not too impressive on my part. ;) There's so much potential for more with this book and as with The Giver it left me wanting more. I'm excited to read the rest of the series!
Recommended! :)

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

4 comments:

  1. I've never tried this series, but will add The Giver to my ever-growing tbr pile. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes cans of worms need to be opened.

    Anyway, I still need to read The Giver sometime. But then I say that about a lot of books.

    ReplyDelete

I allow anyone to comment but be aware that I reserve the right to delete your comment if I find it inappropriate. Please do not make me have to exercise that right. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...